Does anybody actually enjoy life?

Home Forums Chat Room Does anybody actually enjoy life?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Apple Apple 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Bridget
    Bridget
    Participant

I’m surrounded by people who claim they enjoy life – but I’ve always had a hard time believing them. Life, to me, is full of so much pain. Sure, there are some great moments here and there, but I think in the grand scheme of things the unpredictability, relationships, stress, expectations, etc. make life a pretty shitty experience. One of the reasons I started listening carefully to people was because I wanted to understand if others really were happier than me or if they were just faking it. Here’s what I’ve learned: Compassion makes you deep and resonant. Depth reduces suffering about your personal problems and resonance opens you to joy.Are these people being honest? Are there actually people who enjoy life? Or am I the only one who secretly believes that life is overrated?

Monica
    Monica
    Participant

You aren’t the only one that believes life is overrated. People who are wrong are seldom alone in their error.Life is wonderful. Your experience isn’t that different from mine, so I think I can tell you, and have you believe me.Life is a journey, we are here to experience, live, love, grow, and exit gracefully if we can. If we can’t; no big deal, we came in screaming, no reason not to go out that way. I have had an incredibly hard, and painful time here, but so many other have it so much worse. I would not want to dishonor their struggle by saying mine is too hard and painful, and that life is overrated. (Not criticizing your words, just applying them to my experience.)If your view of life is “unpredictability, relationships, stress, expectations, etc make life a pretty shitty experience” may I suggest you are looking through the lens of your experiences (as I once did), and you should be looking through the lens of possibilities.

Molly
    Molly
    Participant

Oh god, YES! And it hasn’t always been that way. My life has gone between cycles of wonderful to terrible. I can’t always say that I’ve enjoyed it, but for the better part of the past two years, it’s been pretty good. The problem with people, in general, is that we get caught up believing that certain things are important, when they are not. And it’s almost impossible to extricate ourselves from the “things” that make us miserable because we—like crack addicts—are completely addicted to them. We cannot imagine our lives without those “things”, while simultaneously knowing that it is those “things” that make us miserable and silently wishing we were free of them; that we had the strength to be without them.
    What are these things:
    Television
    The never-ending quest for material goods
    A couch
    The never ending quest for a better job
    Junk diets (filled with all the wrong foods)
    The belief that we can find better love elsewhere
    Sedentary lifestyle
    A cluttered schedule
    People who are toxic to our lives

Milka
    Milka
    Participant

Yes! Some people genuinely love life, though many people do not.Life is very hard, in many ways for many people, and–here’s the key–circumstances have very, very little impact on how happy you are.
    The good news is there are specific things you can do day-to-day. YMMV, but try:
    Focusing on/creating a journal entry about one event you are grateful for each day
    Exercising regularly
    Doing something nice for someone else
    Thanking people
    Meditating
    Things to avoid:
    Long commutes
    Negative relationships
    Abject poverty
    Focusing on the things that make you unhappy – especially Counterfactual thinking
    In my own life, the reason I am pathologically happy is mainly due to two factors: a sense of purpose and resilience. My overarching sense of purpose is spiritual (I’d be happy to share the details with anyone who cares to listen), but I also feel good day to day when I accomplish the things I have set out to do. If I have grown closer to my goals, I feel good. It’s about that simple.

Kate
    Kate
    Participant

It always really worries me when folks make statements like “life is overrated.” That can be a sign of suicidal thinking. If you’re feeling suicidal please, right now, call 1-800-SUICIDE. You’re suffering from a disease of feeling and a disease of thinking. You are too precious to us to lose.If you’re just feeling kind of down then:The very fact of my existence is so unlikely and so marvelous that I’m grateful every day for my life and the lives I’ve touched. A really important component of enjoyment of life is gratitude. One thing to be really careful about is psychologytoday.comOur Brain’s Negative Bias. This negativity bias makes negative events five times more powerful to us than positive events.Life is overrated? Never! Life is amazing in all its forms.

Alice
    Alice
    Participant

I am a really anxious person. I’m a hypochondriac and insomniac. I am often scared or at least worried. This has been one of the worst years of my life. I had a professional setback, a (real) health scare, and my rent doubled. I am nearing 50, and people I care about (that are a bit older than me) are starting to die. My own body is declining. I enjoy the fuck out of life. Yes, I am being honest. I sometimes hate life, too, but for me it’s like a meal with some burnt, inedible meat and some scrumptious dessert. I suspect it’s like that for most people, unless they’re going through a trauma or in chronic pain. Some folk’s brains focus mostly on the bad stuff; some focus mostly on the good stuff. I tend to focus on both.The good–the great!–includes art, spending time with my friends, cookies, sex, nature (I’m at the beach right now, and the ocean is transcendent), movies, books, plays, well-cooked hamburgers, scrabble, puppets (perhaps my quirk; I love puppets), kittens, puppies, miniskirts, wine, coffee, audiobooks, snow, Quora, birthdays, kids, massages, doodling, naps, and cooking. I probably left some things out. I could make another list that contains cancer, homelessness, divorce, etc., and it would be just as real. For me, life sucks and is wonderful. There’s no contradiction. It’s simply multifaceted.

Phoebe
    Phoebe
    Participant

Everyone has their own problems, sometimes we may think that someone is happier than us, but as experience shows, today you are happy and enjoy your life, but tomorrow you have problems and other shitty stuff. So I think we should stop compare our life with somebody else’s and enjoy what we have, we should strive for heights, reach our own goals and live fully, because we have only one life and, despite of some problems and worries, we still have good stuff, we should appreciate what we have. and if you don’t enjoy your life maybe it’s sign for you to change something, to change yourself and your environment?

Clea
    Clea
    Participant

Enjoying life does not mean that everything is perfect and there is nothing to complain on. Such situation is an utopia and nobody lives a perfect life. But there are still optimistic people who think positively. And it does not mean that they have no problems or ignore them. It means that they don’t focus on problems and negative thoughts. They see a beautiful side of life. And however hard your life is, you can see something beautiful in every little thing like favourite song on the radio or a cup of hot tea. Enjoying of life is a skill you should learn and develop, people are not born with it. We all have troubles and problems, the point is in the way we treat them.

Sarah
    Sarah
    Participant

I think life has two faces – smiling and crying, like a pantomime actor…Because on the one hand it is full of happy, pleasant, amazing and interesting things, but on the other hand our life is full of sadness, pain, illnesses, catastrophes and dissapointments…
    But this is it’s shtick! People cannot see the light, if they never saw darkness! Everything is relative, you will value something good only when you know the other side. That’s why we can see youth who was growing in rich families where there were never poverty, and these people don’t value what they have, they just waste father’s money for drinking, drugs, prostitutes etc…But if they ever were poor, did not have a piece of bread or roof on their heads, they would value every penny and would value every good moment of their life…
    Everything is learnt in comparison with something…

Daria
    Participant

Each of us is sure to get real pleasure out of life can be only when you will achieve everything that has planned his head! Do you agree?
    Enjoy life every second you can and you do not even need all that listed above!
    Why can not I receive pleasure from life in banal things: a smile of her child, cooked with a soul breakfast, Funny SMS?
    You know, only a few can live like this, and squeeze out every day we live for a maximum of pleasure, but someone needs to learn to love my life!

Ana
    Ana
    Participant

i am feeling very good and i can say that i am very happy now. i think that every person has to be happy, even if you have some problems you have to enjoy your life and do not worry about all the problems. of course you have to fight with them but you do not have to forget about yourself . all the problems will go but you do not have to lose your hope you just have to hope for the best and be ready for everything. try not to concentrate on your problems, just think about good things . i think that the good idea is to take a new hobby or to visit a new country it may really inspire you and help you forget about all your problems. everything the best .

Donna
    Participant

Pay attention to a stray dog, with some sense of his own joy she rolls around on the grass and playing with her friends, dogs, and so, we can say that stray dogs are much happier with confidence than we do!Why is that?Yes, because people live unconsciously!
    Each of us is sure to get real pleasure out of life can be only when you will achieve everything that has planned his head!Do you agree?That is the fun (in our opinion) should come when we will have everything: money, a penthouse, a few cars, steering position, or your own business, a separate room for wardrobe, honors children, husband (or wife) beautiful!

Mila
    Mila
    Participant

i am. i think that i know a lot of ways which help me to feel good and do not worry about any problems. i let myself relax a lot and in such a way i make the process of getting ready to the treatment and getting rid of stress and depression faster. i make myself lie in the bed and do not overwhelm my organism with difficult physical exercises.i always follow my doctor’s advice and i really notice that stress and depression, and even fear are the problems i may fast get rid of. i often ask relatives and friends help me to get distracted. and i even do not notice when i feel active and fresh. i also spend much time with my husband and he helps me to keep from bad thoughts.

Apple
    Apple
    Participant

You know I’m surrounded by people who claim they enjoy life – but I’ve always had a hard time believing them. Life, to me, is full of so much pain. Sure, there are some great moments here and there, but I think in the grand scheme of things the unpredictability, relationships, stress, expectations, etc. make life a pretty shitty experience. One of the reasons I started listening carefully to people was because I wanted to understand if others really were happier than me or if they were just faking it. Here’s what I’ve learned: Compassion makes you deep and resonant. Depth reduces suffering about your personal problems and resonance opens you to joy.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.