What are the health benefits of massage?

Home Forums Chat Room What are the health benefits of massage?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Apple Apple 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Bridget
    Bridget
    Participant

I have heard many conflicting suggestions of the health benefits of massage from various massage therapists, such as stimulating muscle recovery, releasing “toxins,” etc. that seem to be without rigorous scientific backing.Pleasure and health are at the top of everyone’s list; don’t go against the grain, simple and plain. Aside from the numerous psychological and physical health benefits of massages, they just feel really awesome- sometimes even better than sex! On the other hand, professional athletes often receive massages. Is there a benefit besides making the recipient feel good? What are the health benefits of massage?

Monica
    Monica
    Participant

I’ve also heard a lot about the claimed physical benefits. Many have said that massage helps to body to clear out “clogged” waste products from tissues. The physical pressing and kneading of the muscles is thought to help clear away toxins and separate muscles that may have become “stuck” to each other. The increased bloodflow to the area is also thought to help carry the toxins to the kidneys and liver, where they are filtered out. You might think of non-massaged (and infrequently-active) muscles as similar to your teeth covered with that think film of gunk when you wake up in the morning. During the day, you and your mouth are active and your body can keep your teeth clean largely through its own processes (salivating, cleaning with you tongue, etc.) When you rest at night, your body is less active, the bacteria come out, and by the time you wake up you’ve got unknown substances built up and covering your teeth.Likewise with muscles. If they are overused (and have built up too much cellular waste) or underused (and not getting enough circulation to flush out waste products) they could end up with a perpetual sort of muscular morning breath. At least that’s how the theory goes.However, the most consistent benefits of massage turn out to be psychological.It turns out that the same hormones that make you feel good also have other good effects throughout the body. Levels of “happiness hormones” like serotonin and the “cuddle hormone,” oxytocin, increase in the bloodstream after massage. Blood pressure is lowered, immune system activity is increased.

Molly
    Molly
    Participant

Yes! Many benefits besides “feeling good” although that reason is much bigger than we think when it comes to stress relief…Trigger point therapy is a method to get extremely tight muscles to relax. Within a muscle there can be a trigger point or a point in the muscle where muscle fibers are chronically contracted. Many people often call this area a knot in the muscle. These knots or trigger points can cause pain or discomfort in that area or in another body part that, at first, may seem unrelated to the trigger point. Muscles are surrounded by fascia that encases the muscle to keep the muscle fibers in place and keep the muscle itself in place (among other things). Muscles are attached to bones by tendons. Trigger points often refer pain to a point where the tendon attaches to the bone or where the tendon crosses another joint. For example, the Illiotibial Band (IT Band) that runs from the outer hip to the outside of the knee is in charge of hip and knee stabilization during movement. The IT Band can become tightened due to trigger points. When this happens, a common complaint is that pain is felt on the outside of the knee. This happens because the IT Band is too tight to smoothly glide over the knee joint as it bends and extends due to one or more trigger points along the band. When this happened the band becomes inflamed and can make the knee feel as if the knee is stiff or locked.

Milka
    Milka
    Participant

In order for your brain to know how you are feeling, it “reads” the state of your muscles. For example, if you read a joke with a pencil between your lips (which looks like you’re frowning), you will rate the joke as less funny than if you read the same joke with the pencil BETWEEN your teeth (which forces your face into a smile).If your muscles are tense and clenched, your brain understands that you are anxious and stressed. If your muscles are relaxed, you brain interprets that YOU are relaxed.Most of us harbor tension in our muscles as longstanding contractions. During a massage, these contractions are worked upon to force the muscle to relax. So the end result is less muscle tension, which your brain will interpret as lowered stress. In addition to the positive effects of just being touched, you now have reset your muscle tension to a more manageable level.

Kate
    Kate
    Participant

There are many Health Benefits of Regular Massage
    Alleviate Pain
    Relieve back pain
    Relieve muscle tension and stiffness
    Reduce muscle spasms
    Relieve tension-related headaches and effects of eyestrain

Feel Better
    Realize more restorative sleep
    Experience deeper and easier breathing
    Improve posture
    Enhance athletic performance
    Enjoy a caring, nurturing touch
    Increase awareness of the mind-body connection

Alice
    Alice
    Participant

Is massage beneficial? Does it have health benefits? Yup. I went to massage school back in the day lol. I almost became a massage therapist but because of my synovitis in my hands, daily massages were too painful for me to do for a living. Very sad because touching people is very healing and wonderful!!! Massage reduces stress, helps with anxiety, insomnia, circulation, head aches, muscle tension, sports injuries, fibromyalgia, depression, and helps alleviate some types of joint pain, also back aches etc. If you are pregnant for the love of god get a prenatal massage!!!! Get naked and get a blissful rubdown!!! You deserve it!!! Massage is not only good for your body physically, but good for your mind and soul. The power of touch is extraordinary. When I was in school for massage we talked extensively about how important it is to be touched as a human being. We were taught to go to nursing homes to offer free little shoulder and hand massages to the elderly. There are a lot of people alone who get no physical contact. Being touched helps people feel connected instead of isolated. Imagine being alone and never having anyone touch you hardly at all? Being touched and rubbed ( not in a sexual way obviously. ) has so many health benefits. Yes it makes you feel good because it brings you back to your body. We all get in our heads, being touched brings your mind and soul back to your physical body. You get grounded and connected to earth. In doing that you get connected to other beings on earth and you feel less alone. Massage is beneficial for the same reasons babies need nurturing touch to survive and thrive. Touch is an amazing thing. It heals and it grounds us.

Phoebe
    Phoebe
    Participant

I’ve heard a lot of benefits of massage for health. First and my favourite is that it helps to loose weight and boost metabolism. I visit massage salons, and I definitely see results. It can be expensive, but worth it. Also I feel so fresh after massage, my muscles relax, I feel like I’m flying after it. Sometimes I make massage at home. I take some oils, for example coconut oil or oranges oil, and massage my stomach, my legs, hands, it’s very relaxing and enjoyable. Sometimes my boyfriend gives me massage and I give him. We love it, it rise sexual tense, it’s so romantic) So massage definitely positively influence our personal life)

Sarah
    Sarah
    Participant

Yes, massage is great thing! You are right, sometimes it gives even more pleasure than sex :yahoo: Massage therapy can benefit all people – from men and women, to infants and old people. The therapeutic effect of massage takes body as a whole, promoting a general sense of well-being. We know that massage gives us greater energy, decreased anxiety, enhanced sleep quality, improved concentration, increased circulation and of course it reduces fatigue. But also it has therapeutical medicine effect, especially for people after surgery or injury, because it speeds healing, reduces pain and swelling, lessens the formation of excessive scar tissue.
    Massage helps us to breath deeper, it improves circulation of blood and movement of lymph fluids, strengthening immune system. And the last, but the not the least important is that good massage helps to improve posture.

Daria
    Participant

Massage can be very different, all of its forms combined in the two world systems: European and eastern. Under European massage refers to knowledge and technology in countries such as Russia, Sweden or Finland. It is believed that this research in the field of Russian doctors became the basis of the so-called classical massage, which is used today not only within Russia but also worldwide.
    The main techniques of classical massage – is stroking, rubbing, kneading and vibration, where each of them assigned a role and each has its own therapeutic effect.

Ana
    Ana
    Participant

i know that it is really very healthy and it will be very helpful for you, if you do not have any problems with your health then you may just relax and enjoy the pleasure. massage increases and improves circulation, in much the same way rubbing your elbow when you knock it on a table helps to relieve the pain. women diagnosed with breast cancer who received massage therapy three times a week reported being less depressed and less angry. patients who were depressed and anxious were much more relaxed and happy, and had reduced stress levels after massage.

Donna
    Participant

In adipose tissue massage acts indirectly through the overall effect on metabolism. By increasing the metabolic processes in the body, increasing the release of fat from fat depot, massage promotes the “burning” of fat that are in excess in the adipose tissue. It should be noted that slimming massage spend long courses (minimum 15 sessions) and combine with exercise.Under the influence of massage increases the elasticity of muscle fibers, their contractile function, slows muscle atrophy and reduces already developed gipotrafiya. Massage improves muscle performance, while performance is accelerated recovery after intensive exercise. Even with short massage (for 3-5 minutes) recovered better function fatigued muscles than during rest for 20-30 minutes.

Mila
    Mila
    Participant

i think that it is really very beneficial and you may not worry about it. if you can not do it well then i think that you have to go the professional and you would be really satisfied with the results. i hope that you would be able to find a really god one. but i think that your husband can also perform a good one, he just has to watch some videos and i think that it would be really great. i have heard that the massage helps to improve the blood vessel and i think that it is really right, then it helps you to relax and forget about all your problems. i thnk that it is the most important thing. that is what i think about it.

Apple
    Apple
    Participant

During the day, you and your mouth are active and your body can keep your teeth clean largely through its own processes (salivating, cleaning with you tongue, etc.) When you rest at night, your body is less active, the bacteria come out, and by the time you wake up you’ve got unknown substances built up and covering your teeth.Likewise with muscles. If they are overused (and have built up too much cellular waste) or underused (and not getting enough circulation to flush out waste products) they could end up with a perpetual sort of muscular morning breath. At least that’s how the theory goes.However, the most consistent benefits of massage turn out to be psychological.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.