What is the most valuable skill a person can have for their entire life?

Home Forums Chat Room What is the most valuable skill a person can have for their entire life?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Apple Apple 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Bridget
    Bridget
    Participant

The most important thing is to be different from others. Do something better than anyone else in the world that’s useful to others (even if what you do best has a very tiny niche).Being able to do something that 100 million other people can do, while potentially important, is likely not nearly as valuable as having a skill that is unique. Of course, certain unique skills will have more value than others. But it is hard to know which skills will and will not have long-term value since the world will change.One easy way to create a unique skill is to combine two seemingly unrelated skills into one skill. Being the best computer scientist in the world is really hard. Being the person who knows the most about dolphins is really hard. But being the person who best knows about the intersection of software and dolphins is accomplishable. You might end up writing the best software that tracks dolphins. Or you might use your knowledge of how dolphins communicate over long distances to change the way humans communicate.

Monica
    Monica
    Participant

Discipline. Life is hard. Some parts are enjoyable, and if you choose to it’s possible to make a lot of it fun, but this doesn’t lead to success and soon makes one’s life feel empty. Genuine happiness relies on hard work, effort and dedication. Being happy with your job means you either have to work hard to be promoted, or network and constantly take up new opportunities. To have a good family you need to first spend years of your life finding the right partner, and then dedicate lots of time to your children. To feel happy intellectually you need to put time into writing books, or doing advanced degrees. Nothing comes easily and all of this takes time and effort.I went back to university last year, after 7 years away, and was shocked by the difference between the successful students in 2005 and the successful students in 2012. The top students now have been able to not only get a good degree, but also manage a number of internships and research positions, and set up a number of organisations, communities and startups. This kind of effort requires an impressive level of discipline, and the most successful people managed to achieve this at a younger age.You can train discipline, and if you do so at a very young age, your life will be more successful, easier, and ultimately happier.

Molly
    Molly
    Participant

Two Skills or Qualities that are rare- Ambition & Tenacity.I read an article in Time magazine several years ago, based on extensive study stated one of the rarest qualities to find in people is Ambition no matter the culture of geographic location. I always thought everyone wanted to better their lot in life. Apparently not. The article went on to say there is one quality harder to find in people the Ambition, that is Tenacity. Few of those blesses with Ambition are also blessed with Perseverance. After reading the article I started to look for those qualities in people. Certainly they are present in most high energy corporate environments but they are only a small fraction of the work force. The 9 to 5 and I’m out of here is vast. I’ve also noticed the very rare quality of Tenacity seldom shows it’s fuel and provide the willingness to try, try, try again. Lots of dreamers, few who will continue to plow the course when at first they don’t succeed. Well maybe once but most will throw the towel in after the 2nd or 3rd set back.

Milka
    Milka
    Participant

Looking at a question differently than everyone else does to find hidden opportunities.When facing a tough problem or an important question, the majority will fixate on only one or two dimensions to the exclusion of many other viable ones. The people who can look at the problem from a different angle often end up solving the problem in a completely unexpected, often elegant way. At the same time, they expose how narrowly the majority had viewed the problem, or whether it even was a problem. My favorite example of this that I heard recently from a famous advertising executive in the UK was an invitation to submit proposals for how to deliver a faster route by train from the inner counties of England to the coast. Numerous engineering proposals came in proposing new tracks to be laid and all manner of other technical enhancements. The winning proposal came in at something like ten billion pounds that would shave forty-five minutes off of the trip. To which the ad exec observed, “For ten billion pounds, I could hire the world’s top 100 supermodels to walk up and down the train giving away free champagne and scotch. And people will complain that the trip isn’t long enough.”The details of the story aren’t important, but the message is. People don’t necessarily want a shorter train trip. They want a “better” one. And there are endless ways to make something better.

Kate
    Kate
    Participant

Understanding that Everything else except your GOAL is a distraction!As Jack Welch said “In real life, strategy is actually very straightforward. You pick a general direction and you implement like hell.”What stops one from implementing – DISTRACTIONS. If you observe closely, most of the want are impulsive which are out of memory in as soon as 30 min. Despite of all the books in the world, best knowledge is self-awareness. because you can only get better from your past.There are lacs of words but 30 min of Silence makes you really Powerful ! Out of all the serene places of the world, best experience is to see within ! On looking back- you will realize that most of the reasons that became the bottleneck were temporary- effect of which would have vanished shortly- however those reasons prevented so many events and may be regrets today.Have more points to write but that will again be distraction :P

Alice
    Alice
    Participant

I think the skill of empathy is possibly one of the most important skills one can have. Put simply, empathy is about paying attention to another human being’s needs, and making a commitment to understand what is happening in their world. It is when you actually step into another’s shoes, non judgmentally, and feel what they are feeling. Sympathy is more a question of offering comfort and assurance when someone is going through a difficult time. Interestingly enough it is a skill apparently that cannot actually be learned easily.I cite the following abstract from a PubMed Journal which is a very reliable source in the UK.According to Edith Stein, a German phenomenologist, empathy can be facilitated. It also can be interrupted and blocked, but it cannot be forced to occur. It is said that being empathetic can lead to better relationships, greater trust, deeper compassion, less conflict, and more effective communication.According to Stein again, although it cannot be learned it is possible for one to promote attitudes and behaviours such as self-awareness, non-judgmental positive regard for others, and good listening skills.
    If you are blessed with this skill, I believe you will truly reap the benefits during the course of your lifetime.

Phoebe
    Phoebe
    Participant

Personally for me the most important things are good manners, kindness and respect for others. We always should be humans and don’t judge people without knowing their history(and even with knowing). I think everyone should watch themselves, but not others. Each of us has her/his own life and the right to do whatever she/he wants. I appreciate when person is kind, I think it is very important feature nowadays in this cruel world. When person is ready to help no matter what, without self-interest, wholeheartedly, it’s so rare in our times.

Clea
    Clea
    Participant

Gratefulness. It is the most important quality in our life. We have the most important gift ever – life. Have you ever thought about people who did not wake up this morning? And you have at least one more day and one more chance to change your life if there is something you don’t like. But instead of using this chance and doing what you should do you prefer to complain on something you don’t have while there are people who would give their all to be like you and to have at least a half of things you have and you don’t appreciate it and forget to say “thank you” for what you have. This skill is the most important quality in life

Sarah
    Sarah
    Participant

I agree with all girls here. But i think that the most valuable skills are kindness, empathy, respect for others, gratefulness and never judge other people…For me, being unique is also very valuable but should not be the most important feature of character…Person can be very unique but not from the best side, you know that schizophrenics are also very unique people, some of them are very talented and can do the things that other cannot, for example, there were so many famous artists and scientists who had mental deseases…
    So, for me, it is really nice to stay kind and empathic, be gratefull for those thing you have, even if life is unfair to you and people are angry…That is very important to keep this inner light inside and to carry it through your whole life

Daria
    Participant

1. Honesty – Avoidance of fraud in relation to other people. In my opinion the best quality that is rarely found in humans. Be honest, be sincere is very valuable to the person.
    The main thing to cope with the fear and uncertainty, to talk openly about his opinion.
    2. Punctuality – is bound in words and actions. Who would like, when you come to the meeting on time, and the person still have to wait. Punctuality is one of the indicators of human security.
    3. Responsibility – the obligation to answer for the actions made by you and the consequences thereof. It is reliable in respect of themselves and others.
    4. Loyalty – devotional attitude towards someone or something, as well when you’re confident in the person. In the words of Plautus Titus Maktsy “Be faithful to him who is faithful to you.”
    5. Communication skills – ability to communicate with people, to find a common language is a very good feature of the business person. Sociability is one of the qualities of a successful person.

Ana
    Ana
    Participant

well i think that it is trust. it is very important in our lives and it is really very important to have people whom you trust and you know that they will keep all your secrets and everything like that. i think that you understand everything very good and i hope that you really have such people. i can not explain very clearly what is it for me,but i think that in every relations, like friendship or with your family, or even in relations with your lover it is very important. to my mind it is the basis of every relations and you just can not be without it because you will lose your relations. i hope that you have understood me. that is what i think about it.

Donna
    Participant

Man since ancient times trying to know and understand yourself. Questions of morality worried outstanding thinkers of all ages. But how to be a real man? What are the qualities he should possess?
    Classic said that the word “man” sounds good. But what builds pride? The point is that it is not simple biological species. People have achieved much during its existence. They have both good and bad to achieve – it’s a fact. Can I be proud only for the reason that you are a man? In principle, yes, but really proud of themselves can only be one who has a lot of good qualities

Mila
    Mila
    Participant

as all people here i think that it is really very important to trust people and to be honest with them. if you are honest with other people hen they would be trustworthy. i am sure in it. they would believe and trust you. i think that you really have to tell you close friends everything what you feel and what you think. i think that it is right if you have a boyfriend or a partner then i think that you also have to share with him your thoughts and secrets. i think that it shall be so. because if you would not trust people and hide something from them then they would do it in the same way. i hope that you have understood me. if you want to be in happy relations with people and to be happy then i think that trust is your most valuable skill.

Apple
    Apple
    Participant

In my opinion being able to do something that 100 million other people can do, while potentially important, is likely not nearly as valuable as having a skill that is unique. Of course, certain unique skills will have more value than others. But it is hard to know which skills will and will not have long-term value since the world will change.One easy way to create a unique skill is to combine two seemingly unrelated skills into one skill. Being the best computer scientist in the world is really hard. Being the person who knows the most about dolphins is really hard. But being the person who best knows about the intersection of software and dolphins is accomplishable. You might end up writing the best software that tracks dolphins.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.